Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Banned - the new words pissing off the fash pack


Apparently there is a long list of words that the fashion industry are sick of hearing. Several magazines banning freelance work which includes the words below. Thank god. I've included my own list as well. There is nothing more annoying then hearing the same words trotted out again and again at press conferences. I've made it into a game. I don't eat before a conference as I prefer to go read over my notes over tea and toast somewhere nice after. So, everytime I hear one of the following words, I add a euro to the breakfast kitty. On a bad day I might only get enough for a danish or on a good day I can get a whole fry up! Depends on the company, the brand and the dedication of the public relations company.

So here are the following barred list :
'Trendy' - An awful awful word
'Fashionista' - This one I don't mind. It's a nice way of saying - 'someone who slavishly burns through their paycheck each week while there are starving children in the world to buy clothing they will discard a season later.' - it's shorter too.
'Vintage / retro' - erm, Retro I agree with. I hate it. But vintage? You can't help calling something 50 years old vintage - it fecking is! Although I am not a fan of people who use the word vintage to describe an item of clothing less then 10 years old. Seriously??? you bought it in Awear three years ago.

Here is my list of words you will always hear at a press conference at some point :

Going forward - A fancy yet annoying way of saying : 'In the near future'
Fashion forward - Another fancy way of saying : 'In the near future.'
Directional - A way os describing a collection when you have no idea what it is you really want to actually say about the work.
Structural - A word to throw about. Very little is not structured. Very very little. 
Tran-seasonal - Meaning, you could totally wear your summer dress in the winter. Not because you can get away with it. But because you can't afford not to!

None of these words really annoy me. Bar 'Going forward.' God, that gets me every time for some reason. no idea why......


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar