Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Transcribing

 Because of the nature of the event which took place over a handful of years, I have literally well over a hundred news articles on the subject of my future book. Many are hard to read and in very small text common in the newspapers at the time. Awhile back I sought to make them easier to reference by digitally breaking up the newspaper articles into page sized chunks that could be printed off. This helped but many articles were still of such length and such small script on paper darkened with time that I would need to break them up into smaller, say paragraphed sized chunks, in order to print in such a way to be readable. This equates to a huge stack of paper that would be hard to find anything in for reference.

So a few weeks back, I set forth to transcribe these articles into text typed into a Word document. Not only does it make things more readable, but I can now make copies if necessary in the future and reference them by search function and with an index. I have done it in the early mornings when I wake up and find I can't get back to sleep until a reasonable hour and during other spare moments I have had. It has been a lot of work but I am about three quarters of the way (some nearly 50,000 words) through the process. It has also allowed me to refresh my memory of events and pick up new details that I didn't catch during the initial readings I gave them after discovering them. It has also pointed out more areas I need to research. 

But time for this project is quickly coming to a close. We have a couple more snows in the forecast and then I expect the weather to finally turn and things to start greening up. I have a lot of tree processing still to do from last fall's derecho and also finishing details on a greenhouse to attend too. Perhaps if I cram this next week, I can get the transcription all done so that maybe next winter, I can make a serious attempt at becoming an author of a published book.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar